Finally did it. I’ve had this on my list of annual things to do since 2008: learn how to make sushi. Toughest part was finding a bamboo mat! For our sushi roll, we looked at MakeMySushi.com (classic roll recipe) and used our own desired filling (salmon, avocado, and cucumber). Rather than rewrite all the instructions, I’ll provide some of our own hints:
- Drink sake. It’s really really good. We had ours chilled.
- Let the sticky rice cool before rubbing it on the nori.
- Using the bamboo mat, roll it really tight while making sure the filling doesn’t fly out the ends.
- Wipe (with paper towel) and wet (with hot water) your knife after every cut (or every few cuts).
- Be creative with the filling. We started with a simple combo but after two rolls, realized we were pros and graduated to a philly spiced roll (added cream cheese and chili powder).
- Make some extra and take it to work. That was a really good lunch on Monday…
That’s about it. It was pretty damn easy looking back, so give it a go!