Spanish Rice (Paella)
By Kevin Berardinelli
Prep Time: 45 Min
Cooking Time: 2 Hours
External Link: WTIC Holiday Entrees – Tia Maria Ortola’s Paella
Family recipe from my grandfather, who cooks this every year on New Year’s Day. It’s all about the saffron.
1 large aluminum pan (about 4″ deep)
1 can kidney beans (light)
1 can kidney beans (dark)
1 can green beans
1 can chick peas
Chicken (assorted pieces… i use thin sliced/chunked breast tenderloins, boneless thighs, wing drumettes
Mini Meatballs (see below)
1 large or 2 medium onions
1 red bell pepper
4 cups dry rice (white, medium-grained) – last year i used saffron-flavored yellow rice
1. Roll mini meatballs (see below)
2. Begin to saute onions, pepper, and garlic in pac with olive oil
3. Add meatballs and chunks of chicken to pan
4. Add spices to mix
5. When meat is done, add all beans to mixture
6. Add dry rice to pan and mix well (4 cups dry rice, a couple spoonfuls of butter if desired). It is important to get the dry rice to begin to soak up the juices from the meat and vegetables.
7. Add additional spices as needed – garlic, turmeric, paprika, saffron.
8. Add 6 out of the necessary 8 cups of water to the pan. Mix well.
9. Add additional 2 cups of water after about 5 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
10. Bake in aluminum pan on 350 degrees for at least 15 minutes
11. Be sure to continue mixing to distribute h2O throughout, and add more h2o when necessary to wet the rice.
1-1.5 lbs ground beef
Ground black pepper