This post is related to the following previous posts:
Update #3: This Year in Baseball (October 26, 2009)
Update #2: This Year in Baseball (October 5, 2009)
Update #1: This Year in Baseball (July 24, 2009)
This Year in Baseball (February 22, 2009)
Well it was Yankees in six games. Pretty unreal feeling. Couple notes:
- Pettitte closed out all three playoff series (Derek Lowe also did it in 2004).
- I am extremely happy for Joe Girardi, even though I wish Mattingly had his spot.
- Teixeira gave the last out ball to Johnny Damon who had a few crucial hits this series but went out early with a strained calf.
- Matsui is a great MVP, going 8-13 with 3 HRs and 8 RBIs in only 3 starts in the World Series. As a note, he was also the MVP of the Japan Series in 2000, going 8-21 with 3 HRs and 8 RBIs in that series (2-2 with 4 RBIs in the game 6 clincher too).
- That was the fifth ring for Mariano Rivera, and the fourth time he got the final out. His 39 postseason saves are by far the most all time (#2 is Brad Lidge at 16).
- Damaso Marte pitched 4.0 postseason innings, giving up 2 hits and 0 ERs with 5 Ks and 0 BBs. Stellar.
“Why wear the pinstripes if you’re not going to win championships?” – Mark Teixeira
“The Yankees won. The world is right again.” – Randy Levine (Yankees President)